Voir les informations

Détails du document

Informations détaillées

Conditions générales d'utilisation :
Protégé par droit d'auteur

Consulter cette déclaration

Titre :
The record
Éditeurs :
  • Sherbrooke, Quebec :Townships Communications Inc,[1979]-,
  • Sherbrooke, Quebec :The Record Division, Quebecor Inc.
Contenu spécifique :
mercredi 19 août 1987
Genre spécifique :
  • Journaux
Fréquence :
quotidien
Notice détaillée :
Titre porté avant ou après :
    Prédécesseur :
  • Sherbrooke record
Lien :

Calendrier

Sélectionnez une date pour naviguer d'un numéro à l'autre.

Fichiers (3)

Références

The record, 1987-08-19, Collections de BAnQ.

RIS ou Zotero

Enregistrer
w Wednesday Births, deaths .7 Classified .8 Comics .9 Editorial .4 Farm & Business .5 Living .6 Sports .12 Townships .3 1 lAIRU HANNAN ST FRANCIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOI Weather, page 2 Sherbrooke Wednesday, August 19, 1987 40 cents Mysterious package of tapes arrives in Charlesville “Look, if you have six birth control pills and I take away two, how many have you got left?" CHARLESVILLE.N S.(CP) — RCMP have seized some mysterious pieces of mail to Charlesville from Europe, and residents want them back.Charlesville is the southern Nova Scotia village that made frontpage headlines across Canada after 174 East Indians landed July 12 after crossing the ocean on the 59-metre freighter Amelie.Earlier this month, a package of audio cassettes arrived from West Germany at the Lower East Pubni-co post office addressed to the “Lord Mayor" of • Charlesville.New Scotland." Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland.A separate letter was also sent to the community from England Charlesville has only 200 residents and no mayor, so the package of tapes was forwarded to Tony Perry, warden of the rural municipality of Barrington, where Charlesville is located.But.before anyone could find out what is on the tapes.RCMP seized the package.They also seized the letter.“They belong to the people of Charlesville." said resident Yer non Malone.Villagers are putting together a scrapbook about the lan ding and want to include the tapes and letter.Most residents assume the mysterious package, without any sender’s name or return addres.is linked to the East Indians, but that is unconfirmed and the RCMP haven't revealed the contents."They're under police seizure, said Sgt Ai Burke.Alliance wary of ‘innocuous’ clause: Accord threatens Quebecers’ rights By Edison Stewart OTTAW A (CP) — The fundamental rights of Quebecers may be put in jeopardy by the Meech Lake accord on the Constitution, the group that speaks for the province’s anglophone minority said Tuesday.“The critical flaw of the accord is in what appears to be an innocuous clause at the end,” Alliance Quebec president Royal Orr told the Commons-Senate committee on the accord.The controversial clause stipu- hers of the Conservative majority Exhibition goes political lates that the accord — which recognizes Quebec as a distinct society — does not affect existing constitutional provisions covering aboriginal rights and multiculturalism.By singling out only those two rights, the implication is that all others—freedom of speech and religion.the right to equality and others — are affected, the group said, joining women’s groups and academics in complaining about the clause.It called for an amendment to specify that existing rights will prevail over the accord.Meanwhile, the Canadian Bar Association attacked the plan to allow provinces to nominate candidates for appointment to the Supreme Court, which it said “leaves open the likelihood of provincial political influence.” It recommended the creation of advisory committees composed of judges, lawyers and members of the public.But Conservative Leo Duguay challenged the allegation of political influence, while other mem- played down the chances of amendments to other areas of the accord.Montreal Tory Suzanne Blais-Grenier warned Alliance Quebec that making the Charter of Rights supreme might scuttle the accord altogether.Other Conservatives expressed similar views when the government of the Northwest Territories called for amendments.Territorial justice minister Michael Ballantyne said that seems to be the position of Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and the premiers as well.“We get sympathy but no action,” Ballantyne told the committee.“I don’t think they consider our concerns important enough to be accused of being the person who starts this process unfolding.” \\t %m Rl ( ORIVPI RRY BEATON Premier Robert Rourassa wav the centre of attention for some colorful protesters at the Sherbrooke hair yesterday (Tuesday.) A group of youths — some sporting mohawks and other 70s-style punk fashion — heckled the premier throughout his speech.Rourassa was in town to launch the Liberal Party's 19H7 fundraising campaign.Sec stories on page J.Construction workers defy injunction MONTREAL (CP) — Thousands of workers on construction sites throughout Quebec on Tuesday defied a court injunction obtained by an employers’ association ordering an end to their work stoppage.The dispute stems from a ruling that the employers' group, L'Association des entrepreneurs en construction du Quebec, need not pay the workers a transport bonus they have received since 1982.The Quebec Court of Appeal agreed with the argument presented by the employers’ group that the contract wording was too vague on the bonus, which was equal to one half-hour’s wages.The workers, most of them members of the Quebec Federation of Labor and the provincial çouncil of construction trades, stopped work last week.Union officials Jean-Paul Rivard and Maurice Pouliot said the injunction wouldn't likely solve members’ dissatisfaction.A spokesman for the employers’ group estimated 5,000 workers are off the job and said almost all sites are affected.DIEPPE, France (CP) — Georges Giguere stood silently on the bow of the English Channel ferry Versailles on Tuesday and watched the high brown and grey-flecked cliffs of Dieppe slowly grow in the distance.A seagull cried mournfully overhead as the 66-year-old Montreal resident remembered that day 45 years ago today when about 5,000 Canadians stormed ashore in an ill-fated Second World War raid.Nine hours later, more than 3,300 of them were dead, wounded or prisoners of the Germans.As the ferry approached the French port Tuesday, Giguere finally said, slowly, haltingly as the memories rushed back: “When I landed in Dieppe (45 years ago), 1 asked one of my comrades on my left: ‘Is it raining?’ “It was (actually) bright sunshine.‘‘He said: ‘No, it’s bullets (blackening the air).”’ Giguere, president of the Dieppe Veterans Association, added: “How I didn’t get hit, I don’t know.I guess God was with me.” Three of his close Montreal school buddies were among the more than 900 Canadians killed that day on the 1.5-kilometre-wide strip of shale and rock.Giguere remembers the horror well.Within minutes of landing, the Allied boats were destroyed by German shore batteries and the Canadian troops, who made up five-sixths oi the attacking force, were pinned down by massive German firepower on the surrounding cliffs.“We were just like a bunch of rats (caught in a trap),” he said.“The last order I heard was: Every man for himself.’” Giguere spent five or six hours hiding under what scant cover he could find on the beach before being captured.He spent the next 33 months as a prisoner of war — a situation he still recalls as horrible."We had our hands tied for 54 days." he said."On no occasion were we untied.To go to the washroom, we had to undo the fly of our comrades and they would do the same for us.It was degrading.” Earlier on the ferry.Veterans Affairs Minister George Hees rekindled old arguments about the raid by accusing the top Allied generals who planned it of “stupidity of the highest degree." Hees, who was serving in En gland at the time with the Canadian Army but who did not participate in the raid, said his first visit to Dieppe years later left him dumbfounded.Once he saw the naked, isolated beach wide open to the big German guns on the heights, he said, he couldn't believe anyone would have ordered such an attack." It is unbelievable that any sane person could send troops against a beach like thal," Hees told reporters hours before the ferry landed at Dieppe.“There never was a chance.” Naval review ‘startled’ by nuclear sub decision By Jim Sheppard LONDON (CP) — The Mulroney government’s controversial decision to acquire a fleet of 10 to 12 nuclear-powered submarines is a “somewhat startling” move that leaves observers wondering about its purpose, the 1987 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships says.The annual naval review, released today, praises the decision as “a radical and welcome break with past Canadian naval policies .(especially because) the sum involved is considerable for a country with a population of (only) 25-26 million.” But it suggests that the cost of the attack submarines could be much greater than the $7.5 billion Cdn estimated by Ottawa and expresses doubts about the government’s emphasis on Arctic defence as the reason for its decision.“Clearly, the Canadian government has decided that this new submarine force should take precedence over the purchase of other equipment.It will be interesting to read of the considerations behind this choice.” Jane’s also worries in its brief section on Canada that (he heavy spending on the nuclear subs could have an adverse effect on any follow-up to Canada’s $3-billion program to build six new Halifax-class frigates.“The effect on the destroyer-frigate building program could have an impact on NATO force levels if the Halifax class is not followed by sufficient new construction,” it says.Jane’s calls the nuclear subs decision “somewhat startling” and adds: “Those not directly involved in the decision making have concerned themselves with one question: What is to be its task?”’ NOTES ADVANTAGES The review says the main advantages of nuclear subs from the Canadian point of view must be their speed, their indefinite range and their suitability for work under the ice-covered Arctic Ocean.It notes a nuclear submarine could get from Halifax to the Baf fin Bay-Davis Strait area in three days, compared with six for a diesel sub, in the event of a Soviet incursion in that area.But it questions the importance attached by the Mulroney government to Arctic defence.Jane’s says missile-launching Soviets subs don’t need to be in Canadian waters to threaten North America and notes that other countries challenge Canadian claims to sovereignty in wide parts of the Arctic.“The Soviet SS-N-18, Hiphl» THE GRIZZWELLS “ by Bill Schorr EEK & MEEK by Howie Schneider ropVIOU^lY, .BIST HE5 6(2T A WONPERFUL 5EN5E.OF HUMOR /WILLARD FURFALL 3UST ’ A5KEP ME TO THE MOVIE5.HE'?NOT THAT £UTE., MV MCXJEV HA6 KJO prese^attjcs ik) nr either health qq )D MART 5^ (OtHEMKAO -00 AÜ.AjATURAC r - r UO t’PÇH pCAtW' ') I CAKJ’T AFFORD TO 6UV HEALTH FOOD WINTHROP by Dick Cavalli FACT THAT IT KILLS FLSAS.THEY SAY MY NEW COLLAR " KILLS FLEAS AND Tl CKS FOR SIX MONTHS." SUT WHY DOES IT HAVE- TO TICK FOR.SIX MONTHS?''-O— MR.MEN™ AND LITTLE MISS™ by Hargreaves & Sellers EVERTTH INl
de

Ce document ne peut être affiché par le visualiseur. Vous devez le télécharger pour le voir.

Lien de téléchargement:

Document disponible pour consultation sur les postes informatiques sécurisés dans les édifices de BAnQ. À la Grande Bibliothèque, présentez-vous dans l'espace de la Bibliothèque nationale, au niveau 1.