The record, 2 mars 2005, mercredi 2 mars 2005
THE CORD oice of the Eastern Townships since 1897 | Missed an event?Subscribe today & stay informed! (819) 569-952 Fresh snowfall welcomed by some 70 cents PM#0040007682 Wednesday, March 2, 2005 Ways Mills evacuated as fire engulfs Cabico plant Hun dreds of jobs endangered as factory goes up in smoke By Rita Legault Barnston West A spectacular fire that sent a plume of smoke that could be seen for miles around gutted the Cabico kitchen cabinet plant in Ways Mills on Tuesday afternoon.The plant, that employed some 300 people, was a total loss, after a fire that apparently began in one of the compressors, grew to engulf the whole plant which is located in the middle of the village of Ways Mills.Some 150 workers on the day shift had to be evacuated from the building as firefighters from several municipalities were called in to help fight the blaze.Because of the presence of potentially toxic solvents including paints and varnishes, dozens of homes and other Please see fire Page 4 : ¦ ¦ -nA.; PERRY BEATON/SPEOAl The village of Way’s Mills was evacuated yesterday as smoke from the village’s largest industry engulfed the area.STEPHEN MCDOUGALL/SPECIAL Roar liki Annik Lapointe and her two sons Jordan and Alex Daudelin raise their hands in celebration of Lions Day in Danville.Lions Day comes when the first day of March arrives with below zero cold and blustery snow.It's usually followed by Lambs' Day, when on the last day of March, the weather is calm and warm like a cat - or a lamb.The adventurers were out building a snow sculpture on the first of three days of outdoor activities the town has organized for families.The activities are being hosted at the Burbank Pond and include bobsledding from a 15 foot tower, skating parties and cross-country ski tours around the town’s well-known nature preserve.Bloc pushing for improvements to El Region losing between $20 and $30 million per year: Cardin By Brion Robinson Sherbrooke Local Members of Parliament for the Bloc Québécois are supporting new laws that would improve employment insurance benefits and bring more money into the Estrie region and the rest of the province.This is welcome news to people like Alexandre Lavallée who say their employment insurance benefits just aren’t enough.For 12 weeks leading up to his last year of university, Alexandre Lavallée was working 49 hours a week for minimum wage.He qualified for employment insurance the last month before school but his benefits were also at a minimum.“Before I started my last year of university I was only getting about $55 a week from employment insurance,” said the 26-year-old, who has since graduated from the Université de Sherbrooke with a degree in social work.“My apartment cost about $200.I couldn't live on that money.” Lavallée had to depend on his parents and friends who invited him over for meals while he was struggling to pay his rent.Please see Bloc Page 9 page 2 Wednesday, March 2, 2005 • mTHKb RECORD Breakfast program spans generations By Claudia Villemaire Special to The Record Richmond a pilot project organized by the local Z\ chapter of the FADOQ (the senior i JLcitizens organization of Quebec) to provide a free breakfast to every elementary student here was announced by local president Jean Paul Provost recently- “We hope to provide a nutritious breakfast to every child attending our two elementary schools here, Le Tremplin and St Francis,” Provost said during a press conference.At the same time, the group, which counts up to 400 members in the immediate area of which at least 250 are ac- tive and able to participate, will launch a financial campaign to round up funds, volunteers and sponsors to pay for this challenge.“We have completed menus for the next school year and, with donations already promised and funds beginning to trickle in, we are very encouraged,” the president said.“Our first priority is to ensure that every child, from Kindergarten to sixth grade will begin his or her school day with breakfast.Local studies and reports tell us there is a great number of youngsters who come to school without breakfast.” At the meeting were representatives from both schools, Anick St Hilaire and Allan Nourse; also representing the Town and other organizations were Nathalie Lussier, Linda Roy and Jacques Dubois.Supporting president Provost was Pierre Ouellet from the Eastern Townships regional office.“Actually we, at the regional office which includes representatives from 48 clubs, came up with the idea,” Ouellet explained.“The Richmond sector was chosen as a pilot project in part because the idea to bridge the generational gap between elders and young people came from Richmond’s own president Pierre Paul Provost,” Ouellet added.“It’s a two-fold project actually,” Ouellet explained.“First, making sure our youngsters get the best possible start to their school day.And secondly, with se- niors preparing and serving the breakfasts, youngsters will have a chance to get to know their elders and vice versa,” Ouellet said.The campaign to raise awareness, funds, find sponsors and round up volunteers will begin Feb.15.“We have calculated a cost of approximately $16,000 per school for the first year.If we can gauge our future success by the support we are already receiving, I am certain we will succeed,” local president Pierre Paul Provost announced.There will be a competition to find a name for the breakfast club, of course, one that’s simple, self explanatory and easily understood in both official languages.Briefs Sears issues warning for toddler suit Sears Canada today issued a safety notice for boys top/pant set, sold exclusively at Sears under the Sears Baby brand label.The plastic fire truck appliqué/image on the front of the top may break off in pieces creating a potential choking hazard.Although there have been no reported incidents, customers who purchased the top/pant set should return the top as soon as possible to their nearest Sears retail store for a full refund.The top was offered in light blue and in red with a plastic fire truck appliqué/image on the front together with blue jeans for toddler boys 16 to 30 pounds.The item number located on the care tag on the neck of the top is 46539.The retail price is $19.99.Sold in Sears department stores only.Sears Canada has immediately pulled the item off sale and will be posting signs in all of its retail stores to advise customers of this safety notice.* Police seek robber Staff Sherbrooke Police are seeking the public’s cooperation in finding the man who held up a dépanneur on Terrill Street on Feb.7.The suspect entered the Couche Tard at 851 Terrill around 11:30 p.m.After the door was opened by the convenience store clerk, the man put on dark glasses and demanded the contents of the cash register.He then fled on foot heading south on 13th Avenue North.The man, who was caught on videotape, is about 45-years-old, has curly short black hair and is clean shaven.He is about 1.73 meters tall (five-foot-seven) and weighs about 72 kilos (160 pounds).At the time of the crime, the suspect was wearing a baggy black coat and black pants.Anyone who can help identify the suspect is asked to call Detective Claude Monfette at the Sherbrooke police station at 821-5544.All calls are confidential.Repeat drunk driver pleads guilty y* oxton Pond resident John Harvey 1^ pleaded guilty to charges of im-A\»paired driving causing bodily harm at the St-Hyacinthe courthouse this week.The charges were laid following an accident on Jan.17 in St-Valérien de Milton.Charges of dangerous driving causing bodily harmed were dropped.Harvey, who has a long record of j impaired driving charges, neglected to stop at the corner of Roxton Road and Grande Ligne and collided with J another car.The 23-year-old driver was seriously injured.Harvey will remain behind bars J until his sentencing on June 20.Investigators mull charges in bus crash Police investigators in Jacksonville, Fla.will decide within 10 days if charges will be laid against Ronald Si-moneau, the bus driver involved in a j fatal accident on Sunday.The accident occurred on Interstate Hwy 95 when the bus carrying a group of students from a high school in Plessiville collided with nine cars after the initial impact, killing two people and injuring seven others.The 49 passengers on the bus were not injured.Police are investigating to determine the cause of the accident and to ascertain whether Simoneau failed to make a stop.Weather Ben by Daniel Shelton TodaytA few flurries ending late in the day.Cloudy later on.Amount 2 cm.Blowing snow locally.Winds northwest 30 km/h.High minus 5.Thursday: A mix of sun and cloud.Low minus 18.High minus 10.Friday: A mix of sun and cloud.Low minus 17.High minus 6.Saturday: A mix of sun and cloud.30 per cent chance of flurries.Low minus 14.High minus 2.50, WHAT5 NICHOLAS next sam- PROJECT?FAMILY TREE-' MIS WILL 3"P WITH REAL branches gluep TOGETHER.^IMPRESSIVE.WERE USING LITTLE PICTURE FRAMES FOR EACH Family' memser ANP HANPMAPB K PAPER LEAVES/ I Cant wait TO SEE THE ' ^ EXPRESSIONS A—^ ON THE OTHER H " A x" PARENTS' (sP'Z FACES/ • «TH Ki.— RECORD Wednesday, March 2, 2005 page 3 Phoney inspectors visiting student dwellings Von’t let anyone in unless you have seen proof, ’ says MacAulay By Jen Young Record Correspondent Borough council president Doug MacAulay is warning students that phoney inspectors have been reported visiting student dwellings in Lennoxville claiming to be working for the borough.“These supposed inspectors are very possibly casing these houses and in light of the three break-ins in the Little Forks area two weeks ago, we don’t want anyone taking any chances,” MacAulay said.“Our inspectors are making visits so tenants should be prepared and make sure of their identities before letting them in.” Until the City of Sherbrooke has passed the new bylaw, insisting that Lenn homeowners live on premises rented by students, the borough has created a new inspection committee that has been focusing on problem areas of town.Council hopes the inspections will help diminish situations that provoke student misconduct in residential areas, while making sure that landlords are providing students with safe dwellings.Three inspectors -Jean Francois Gagnon, Carolyn Tremblay, and Jacques Brault - have already visited 22 of the 90-some dwellings on the list and MacAulay stresses that they are the only inspectors authorized by the borough.Each inspector carries identification that proves their involvement with the City of Sherbrooke as well as their names.“Dwellers should insist on seeing identification,” MacAulay said.“Even if they do and still don’t feel easy about it, then call the borough office and we can verify whether our inspectors are supposed to be there or not.” All home owners who rent to students have been sent a letter at the beginning of the year stating that this process was to take place and it was up to them to inform their occupants.Because many students have been stressing that their landlords have never informed them of the inspections, council resent the letter yesterday.“The letter reminds them of the inspections and their responsibilities,” said borough director Marc Mongeau.“They are responsible for informing their tenants and they are also responsible for complying with any results the inspections bring.” The inspections are studying three aspects: the structure of the building to determine if the building needs repair, safety to prevent overcrowding and respect for fire code regulations, and healthy living conditions.If any of the categories raise a concern, the landlord is given 15 to 30 days, depending on the severity, to comply or make changes.If they do not comply by a scheduled follow-up visit, they are issued a fine, and are still obligated to comply.“We are trying to work with the landlords and students for everyone’s best interest,” says Mongeau.“It is difficult for some landlords who live as far as Toronto but it is still their responsibility" MacAulay states that the bogus inspectors are making it more difficult for authentic inspectors to do their jobs but the inspections must be carried out regardless, even if it means taking extra time for dwellers to feel comfortable and do their verifying.Textile plants must innovate to survive: Saada MAURICE CROSSFIELD « ^ Canadian Economic Development Minister for Quebec Jacques Saada( centre) says the government will support innovative industries, like Granby’s Stedfast textile plant, which he toured Tuesday.By Maurice Crossfield Canada’s minister of economic development for the Quebec region says there is a future for the textile industry, providing those companies are willing to innovate and change with the times.“I remain convinced there is a future for the textile industry both in Quebec and in Canada,” said Jacques Saada during a tour of the Stedfast textile mill in Granby Tuesday.“It is not up to the government to find answers, it is up to the government to support those businesses that have solutions.” Saada’s comments come during a tough time for the Canadian textile industry.Faced with ferocious international competition, over the last couple of years Townships textile plants have struggled, with closures of major operations in Sherbrooke, Magog and Coaticook.In contrast is the Stedfast plant, which concentrates on high tech fabrics used by the military, firefighters and other demanding trades.Need fabrics that are resistant to biological weapons?Looking for the latest in camouflage gear?Stedfast has something for you.Saada said last week’s federal budget will earmark $300 million over the next five years for regional economic development, helping tradi- budget that comes from the bottom up, not the top down.” Saada also discussed the federal government’s support for municipalities, refunding some of the federal fuel tax revenue and renewing federal infrastructure programs.“Municipalities have major infrastructure tional industries innovate and developing the knowledge-based economy.“Innovation is our credo,” Saada said.“This budget is a reflection of the realities of those who live in the regions.It is a concerns," he said.He said the new budget, which establishes programs for years to come, will provide a stable source of funding to renew city infrastructures.“It is difficult for a municipality to borrow money when they don’t know what the future holds," he said.“There needs to be a predicability of revenues.This budget assures a permanence of growth.” CAREER L & $ CRANBERRY, L.P.SECRETARY/RECEPTIONIST LABOURERS & WATCHMAN 5KRETary/re
Ce document ne peut être affiché par le visualiseur. Vous devez le télécharger pour le voir.
Document disponible pour consultation sur les postes informatiques sécurisés dans les édifices de BAnQ. À la Grande Bibliothèque, présentez-vous dans l'espace de la Bibliothèque nationale, au niveau 1.